Professor and Department Head
Areas of specialization: Africana Philosophy, Existentialism, Phenomenology, Philosophy of Science, Social and Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Education, Aesthetics and Philosophy in Film, Literature, and Music, Philosophy of Culture, Race, and Racism, Philosophy of Medicine, Psychiatry, and Psychoanalysis, and Global Southern Thought
Editor of the American Philosophical Association Blog series Black Issues in Philosophy; with Jane Anna Gordon, the book series Global Critical Caribbean Thought; and, also with Jane Anna Gordon, the journal Philosophy and Global Affairs
Announcements and Speaking Appearances
- Lewis Gordon & Jason Stanley: A Conversation: When Philosophers Talk, in the Brainwaves Video Anthology(2020): Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7
- “Thinking from and within the Global South: Boaventura de Sousa Santos, Lewis R. Gordon, and Maria Paula Meneses in Conversation,” CES TV (10 November 2019).
- “Liberation and Decolonization: Lewis Gordon with Olufemi O. Taiwo,” The Philosopher (April 27, 2021).
Recent Public Lectures
- “Decolonizing Black Aesthetics,” Museu de Arte de São Paulo (MASP) in São Paulo, Brazil (October 18, 2018).
- “Fanon, the Teacher,” Frantz Fanon: A Colloquium, Tricontinental: Institute for Social Research (presented on 5 March 5, 2020; posted 25 April 2020). Q&A.
- “Freedom, Justice, and Decolonization,” Global Liberal Studies, New York University (April 9, 2021).
Recent Interviews, Media Appearances, Panels, and Public Community Engagements
- “The Political Problem of Racism, with Dr. Lewis Gordon, Part 1,” Politeia (10 August 2020) and “The Political Problem of Racism, with Dr. Lewis Gordon, Part 2.”
- יש אנטישמיות מצד שחורים בארצות הברית. לטענתו, הימין מנפח אותה במכוון / “There is anti-Semitism on the part of blacks in the United States. According to him, the right is deliberately inflating it,” Haaretz (13 August 2020).
- A Virtual Townhall Meeting on Racism and the COVID-19 Pandemic in the African American Community (4 June 2020).
- “#918: Philosopher Lewis Gordon on Racism, Moral vs Political Responsibility, and Relational Metaphysics,” Voices of VR Podcast (5 June 2020).
- “Lewis Gordon on engaging with Fanon in the time of Covid,” interviewed by Firoze Manji (4 May 2020).
- La Question Noire – Ep. 1 : “Afro-Décolonial?” Partie 1 (16 June 2020).
- “Conceptualizing Difference | Talking Difference,” Centre for Citizenship, Civil Society, & Rule of Law (Episode 1).